Geospatial Technology in Times of Global Challenges
The conference took place in online mode November 24 – 26 (plus workshops), 2021, at Katmandu University organized by the Department of Geomatics Engineering, School of Engineering, Kathmandu University and the Geospatial Department of Stuttgart University of Applied Sciences, Stuttgart, Germany, co-organized by the Laboratory for interoperable, and open-source Geospatial Software, Data and Standards (HFT ICA-OSGeo-Lab).
Potential contributions are welcome in fields like Agriculture and Food Security, Geospatial IT, Land Use, Land Management, Public Health, Support for Economics using Spatial IT, Development of infrastructure, Urban Planning, ...
You can register through our online conference system, https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=agse2021 and submit your contribution.
To register as attendee please goto the official registration site https://eveeno.com/agse2021. This registration is needed separately from the registration in Easychair. Based on you registration here the Zoom link will be provided a few days before AGSE starts.
AGSE 2021 is an online conference, sponsored by the sponsors listed below. Hence feel to participate it is an Open Resource and Open Education!
- Janak Raj Joshi, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Land Management, Cooperatives and Poverty Alleviation
Janak Raj Joshi is a land professional with more than 20 years' experience. He is currently working as Joint Secretary at the Ministry of Land Management, Cooperatives and Poverty Alleviation of Government of Nepal. He was involved in different land reform initiatives on policy, legislation and institutional development under the Ministry. He has led Ministry team to come up with the Land use policy, National Land Policy, legislation reform and Fit for purpose land administration strategy development in Nepal. He holds a M. Sc. Degree in Geoinformation Science and Earth Observation from ITC/ University of Twente, with Distinction. He is actively involved in various research activities and publication on land and tenure governance in Nepal
Matthias Ruchser, Coordinator Outreach, Global Crop Diversity Trust (Crop Trust): The Loss of Biodiversity - Climate Change as a security risk.
Mr Ruchser has a strong background in different aspects of sustainable development and climate action. Due to an enhanced climate change, the biodiversity of agriculture is at risk. In his talk, Matthias will introduce the Crop Trust and its mission to ensure the conservation and availability of crop diversity for food security worldwide, which relates to SDG2 as well as other SDGs.
- Athina Trakas (Open Geospatial Consortium): New Developments at OGC
Athina serves currently as Director for OGC Services in Europe, Central Asia and Africa. She has presented internationally on geo-information management topics, mainly in the areas of networking within the community, OGC processes, interoperability and standards. Since 2008 she is charter member of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo).
- Dr Peter Schmitz (Department of Geography, University of South Africa): Food insecurity, fortunate index and income as possible indicators for vulnerability
Prof Peter Schmitz holds a PhD in Geography and a BSc (Hons) degree in Geoinformatics. He is a registered professional Geographic Information Science practitioner in South Africa. He is currently an associate professor in the Department of Geography, University of South Africa. He is active in geospatial analysis and forensic geography. He is also active in logistics specialising in supply chains for the military and spatial data. He has experience in food security and vulnerability of communities. He received several awards for his work in geospatial analysis and presented numerous papers at various local and international conferences. He publishes in peer reviewed journals and is the editor of the South African Journal of Geomatics. A full CV is available on request.
- Dr. Jagannath Aryal (Senior Lecturer Infrastructure Engineering, The University of Melbourne): Earth Observation and Digital Twin for SDG: a future outlook from urban systems
- Prof. Matthias Möller (University of Bamberg/Beuth University Berlin): Five Decades, almost a half Century of Operational Earth Monitoring
Matthias S. Moeller received his Diploma in Geography in 1995 from the Uni-versity of Osnabrueck, Germany. His PhD in Applied GI-Science and Environ-mental Analysis was awarded in 2002 from the University of Vechta, Germany. He was with Arizona State University (USA) from 2003 - 2007. During 2006 through 2010 he was appointed as a substitute professor for Cartography, GIScience and Remote Sensing at the University of Bonn and the University of Bamberg (Germany). In 2010 he received the Habilition and the venia legendi for Geography from the University of Bamberg. Since October 2010 he holds a full professorship for Cartography, GIScience and Remote Sensing at the Beuth University of Applied Sciences in Berlin. Dr. Moeller has been appointed as an apl. Professor at Otto-Friedrich-University Bamberg in 2017. Since 2016, he is also appointed a lecturer for GIScience, geostatitics & remote sensing at the University of Basel, Switzerland. Dr. Moeller gave more than 100 academic lectures and courses at numerous distinguished International Universities. He published about 70 scientific pa-pers and gave more than 50 aural presentations at international conferences. His main research interest is directed to the analysis of urban environment, urban development and changes in urban areas. He is using integrative ap-proaches of GI-methods, combining it with the analysis results of remote sens-ing imagery at different scale levels; e.g. ranging from broad Landsat TM im-agery up to super high resolution UAV photos. Digital and mobile Geomedia and the development of user-adapted WebMapping interfaces is an important part of Dr. Moellers R&D. New evolving methods in the field of advanced geo-visualization, e.g. by using Augmented and Virtual Reality (AR/VR) is another key research topic. As a member of the Society for the Education of Geomatics (GIS-AT) he has developed a series of practical school exercise lessons intro-ducing Geo Information in K12 schools.
- Hamidreza Ostadabbas: Data acquisition with help of QField and open source GIS software (QGIS)
Mr Ostadabbas holds a Bachelor of the Surveying engineering and a master of Geoninformatics from HFT 2019. He is head of the GIS Department in STEG GmbH company since January 2021 in Stuttgart, and winner of CLGE and GEOMATICS ON MOVE Contest on 2019 and 2020.
- Christine Brönner: Geo-Information management for the humanitarian/development nexus: challenges and opportunities
Ms. Christine Brönner holds an MSc in Geography and has more than 25 years experience in data and geoinformation analysis in support of sustainable development planning and humanitarian operations in the Middle East, Africa and Asia. She has worked extensively at the humanitarian development nexus and provided her expertise in the requirements analysis, in the development of information management and analysis strategies and for the identification of collaboration mechanisms. Currently, she supports information development and analysis for political economy and food security analysis in the Yemen protracted crisis context.
- Diana Christa Gamutan/Milloza: Workshop on QGIS
- Winhard Tampubolon: DEM generation using open source GI processing software (SNAP desktop)
- Mohammad Shafi Bajauri: Introductory Workshop on Google Earth Engine and its application in hazard assessment
- Md. Shafiqul Islam: Automatic Feature Extraction from point cloud Data using Global Mapper Software
In the Alumni Session(s) international alumni will share their experiences after leaving their German University.
This is an excellent opportunity and atmosphere to learn from one another and to get valuable suggestions for your own career and personal growth.
- Experiences and knowledge in Mapping Industry: Helpful and inspiring for young students/professionals who want to work and live in Germany.
- My professional & personal experiences
- My experiences in Germany as an Erasmus Bachelor Student, International Master Student, and now International Ph.D. Student
- : Experience on the field of practice after leaving Germany
Date & Location
AGSE 2021 will take place November 24 – 26, 2021, at Kathmandu University, Kathmandu, Neopal and Stuttgart University of Applied Sciences.
- Dr. Subash Ghimire, Acting Head of Department and Associate Professor, Department of Geomatics Engineering, School of Engineering
- Dr. Reshma Shrestha, Department of Geomatics Engineering, School of Engineering
- Dr. Uma Shankar Panday, Department of Geomatics Engineering, School of Engineering
Mr. Uma Shankar Panday is Assistant Professor at the Department of Geomatics Engineering, Kathmandu University. He specializes in Photogrammetry and UAV. He leads a number of research and development projects at the university. He has also been serving as Geospatial Experts in various governmental and Non-Governmental projects. He is the lead of “Non-Governmental GeoNode” project funded by the World Bank.
- Dr.-Ing. Ramesh Kumar Maskey, Professor of Civil Engineering (Water & Energy), Kathmandu University
Stuttgart University of Applied Sciences
- Dietrich Schröder, Faculty of Geomatics, Computer Science and Mathematics, University of Applied Sciences Stuttgart
- Franz-Josef Behr, Faculty of Geomatics, Computer Science and Mathematics, University of Applied Sciences Stuttgart
- Anja Ernst, Research Coordinator, Faculty of Geomatics, Computer Science and Mathematics, University of Applied Sciences Stuttgart
International Advisory Board
- Prof. Dr. Matthias Möller, Beuth University
- Prof. Dr. Jaishanker Nair, IIITM-K, Trivandrum, India
- Dr. Murimi Ngigi, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology, Kenya
The prelimanary program can be downloaded at http://applied-geoinformatics.org/yourls/2
- Master Drummers of Nepal (Navabaja: Nine Different Newar local Drums): Newar Drum Ensemble
- Bharat Nepali (Sarangi: Nepali Folk Intrument): Nepali Folk Tunes
- Prabhu Raj Dhakal (Classical Vocal): Classical Vocal Music